Episode #291: Beyond Ergonomics, with Dr. Uche OdiatuApr 09, 2021
We've all heard the benefits of exercise, but it goes beyond ergonomics. To remind you of the neurological benefits of being physically active, Kirk Behrendt brings back Dr. Uche Odiatu for a lesson on how exercise can keep your mind healthy and add years to your practice. And the best part is, you don't need a lot of time to get moving — start today! For more, listen to Episode 291 of The Best Practices Show!
- There are neurological and physiological benefits to being physically active.
- Exercising and fitness goes beyond just “looking hot”.
- Fitness isn't a cost, it’s an investment.
- Sitting is the new smoking!
- Walk more, walk briskly, and live longer.
- You don't need a ton of time to exercise!
- “Most people, when they think of exercise, they're thinking a flat stomach. They think of squares. They're thinking of “looking hot” for your high school reunion . . . Dr. Church from the Cooper Institute in Texas said the benefit of being regularly physically active, 90% of it is from the neck up, which means neurologically, longer telomeres, better synaptic connections, less toxin buildup, better sleep.” (05:27—06:04)
- “People who aren’t physically active are 1/10th as productive as people who are physically active.” (07:06—07:12)
- “Michael Colgan, PhD, in a book called Save Your Brain, said by age 55, for most people who are physically inactive, which is basically 85% of the audience here . . . almost half of their mitochondria are no longer fully functioning.” (09:21—09:43)
- “I don't think fitness costs anything. It’s an investment. Nutrition is an investment for me. My exercise equipment is an investment for me. My yoga mat is an investment for me. My Lululemon is an investment for me . . . Everything in your body that costs, it’s actually an investment, from my brain to my nutrition to my equipment.” (16:01—16:31)
- “We weren't designed to sit. It literally shuts down our physiology. It shuts down breathing. And you're thinking, ‘Is that a big deal?’ Well, the brain, at three pounds, is the biggest oxygen hog. At three pounds, our brain uses 25% of the incoming oxygen. So, when you're sitting, your brain is being starved of oxygen.” (25:27—25:45)
- “If you can't be in the top 2% in income, be in the top 2% in having a complete exercise program.” (36:34—36:40)
- Dr. Odiatu’s background. (03:17—04:48)
- Why movement is so important in dentistry. (05:27—11:05)
- Sleep is the secret weapon. (11:42—13:21)
- Treat your body like a high-performance race car. (14:51—18:00)
- Move it or lose it. (18:52—20:36)
- Dentistry is a sport. (21:15—24:28)
- Sitting is the new smoking. (24:55—27:15)
- Movement is life. (28:10—30:35)
- Walk more (briskly) and live longer. (31:21—33:21)
- The ergonomic side of movement. (34:11—36:40)
- Myths of exercise and Dr. Odiatu’s exercise routine. (37:09—39:16)
- Interval training is important to the body. (39:26—41:39)
- Don't overdo it! (42:01—43:39)
- Keep yourself healthy to add more years to your practice. (44:33—46:14)
- Dr. Odiatu’s contact information and virtual presentations. (46:43—48:26)
Reach Out to Dr. Odiatu:
Dr. Odiatu’s Instagram: @fitspeakers https://www.instagram.com/fitspeakers/?hl=en
Dr. Odiatu’s email: [email protected]
Dr. Odiatu’s website: http://www.druche.com/
Save Your Brain by Michael Colgan: https://www.amazon.com/Save-Your-Brain-Michael-Colgan/dp/0978348605
Mother-Daughter Wisdom: Understanding the Crucial Link Between Mothers, Daughters, and Health by Christiane Northrup: https://www.amazon.com/Mother-Daughter-Wisdom-Understanding-Crucial-Daughters/dp/0553380125
Dr. Uche Odiatu Bio
Dr. Odiatu has a DMD (Doctor of Dental Medicine). He is a professional member of the ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine), a Certified Personal Trainer (National Strength & Conditioning Association) NSCA, and the Canadian Association of Fitness Professionals (canfitpro). He is the co-author of The Miracle of Health (c) 2009 John Wiley (hardcover) & (c) 2015 Harper Collins, and has lectured in Canada, the USA, the Caribbean, the UK, and Europe. He is an invited guest on over 400 TV and radio shows, from ABC 20/20, Canada CTV AM, Breakfast TV, to Magic Sunday Drum FM in Texas. This high-energy healthcare professional has done over 450 lectures in seven countries over the last 15 years.
“I love my team-building sessions with individual dental offices on the road . . . From Florida, USA, to Alberta, Canada, I crisscross the continent to support offices in their wellness goals. Patients embrace an integrated treatment philosophy. Being comfortable chairside talking nutrition, posture, stress, and sleep doesn’t happen by accident. Mastering the terminology and integrating the latest science sets offices apart from the pack.”
Want to know more about arranging an in-person office program? Send me a quick note in my CONTACT page. Or, to start with a LIVE personal webinar for your office or group practice, go to bit.ly/fitdentist.